Saturday, January 12, 2008

Why read?

Tunnel, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Liteature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2008

The text highlights some interesting evidence why people read or don't read, but I really think it boils down to kids' earliest experiences with books. When a touchy, feelie, huggy kiddo gets to spend time sitting in mommy or daddy's lap and get one on one attention while reading a book, it registers as a great experience. One that hopefully will get replayed manytimes until kiddo can read on his own.

Likewise, a rough and tumble kiddo might not get so excited at sitting still in anyone's lap long enough to get his shoes tied, much less long enough to read a story. But when this kiddo knows that after he's finished reading with mommy or daddy, he'll get to act out the story with his friends or siblings, it also can become a good experience.

I think as teachers (and parents for that matter) we have to be able to figure out which kind of kids we have and make books fun on their level.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Look at you, you blogger! I am so proud I could just cry! I stumbled across you as I was reading the comments on Kristen's blog. You go Mrs. Mullins! I am eagerly awaiting more postings from you...hurry now, get busy!
BP

Mary said...

I agree with Brooke. Yet another post to my "favorites" button! You go girl!

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Staci: you've got a following! I concur with Brooke and Mary: awesome blog! And I love in particular your voting section. You'll have to show the class how you went about doing that: think of all its possibilities in a classroom: which has been your favorite book? author? illustrator? etc.