Monday, January 21, 2008

Books, Books and More Books- Chapters 6 & 7

Tunnel, Michael O. and James S. Jacobs. Children's Liteature, Briefly. 4e. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, 2008.

For the past 2 weeks I've been on a book buying binge. I think I had forgotten how much I love children's books, especially picture books. I loved the illustrated section in chapter 4. Even as kid I paid more attention to the words than the pictures of a book. And I prided myself on graduating to chapter books way before my peers. I realize that I missed out on a lot of fabulous picture books. My mental wish list is growing daily - Round Trip, Tuesday, Anno's Counting Book, Not a Box, Flotsam, Millions of Cats. And I've remembered books I read as a child and subsequently forgot - Sylvester and the Magic Pebble, The Ox-Cart Man, Why Mosquitos Buzz in People's Ears, Ira Sleeps Over. I think what I've learned in these 2 chapters is that I could quit my job and drop out of school and read until I die and still never finish reading. And I could be happy doing that. As a teacher, how do I bring my students to that place of wonder and awe of books? I guess that's the $1,000,000 question.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

Would that there'd be an easy $1M answer: but best I can do is share a 2- bits suggestion: READ always, READ in front of your students, TALK about what you're reading, READ aloud to the kids, READ without expecting anything in return. SHOW them books on a daily basis. NEVER quit. It's a daily battle, one child at a time.