Saturday, April 5, 2008

Zoom

Banyai, Istvan. Zoom. New York: Puffin Books, 1998.

I left all the books for this course out on the coffee table right after I bought them. Almost immediately, my kids started flipping through them. They were enjoying themselves, so I took advantage of the opportunity to get some other things done. (I love it when I can let books be my babysitter.) A little while later, by 5 year old came into my room holding Zoom. "Mom, Mom! This is the best book ever!"

Right away I was excited about Zoom because my daughter was so excited about it. We liked how the scene kept changing. As soon as we thought we knew what was going to happen next, the perspective changed the "story." And I like how each chunk of related pictures was from such a dramatically different part of the world - a farm, a cruise ship, the Arizona desert, a native island. I do wish that he had added a little bit of detail to the illustrations at the end, like little planet and star dots to accompany the earth as the perspective zoomed back into outer space. But overall, Iiked it a lot.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

You know, Staci, I've yet to show this book to Lukas (4 1/2), but now I'm excited to do it based on your daughter's reaction to it. I just thought (for some odd and dumb reason on my part) that it would be too old of a book for him. And books do make for the best babysitter, next to the grandparents and the really cool girl from church. Better than TV and video games, that's sure.

And I think you've just about written the next Craft Lesson on ZOOM based on your girl's reaction to it.