Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Craft Lesson 6

Resource Materials:

Fleischman, Paul and Kevin Hawkes. Sidewalk Circus. Massachusetts: Candlewick, 2004.


Target Audience:

Second Grade


Discussion:

Sidewalk Circus is a great reminder that reading the pictures is just as important as reading the words. Once the kids get the hang of "reading" the shadows, I think their imaginations will take off. I especially like the way it seems that the story ends with a new beginning. This book begs for a sequel.


How to Teach It:

I would read the book in guided reading groups of about four students each. After discussing the story to ensure that all of the kids understood the concept, I would let them write the sequel cooperatively and illustrated it if time allows.

2 comments:

Ms. Heather Walker said...

I loved what you said in class the night we discussed this book, that it just "begs for a sequel". You couldn't be more right! I think kids would have fun writing a sequel to this picture book!

Denisse said...

You always have some great ideas!